httpd conf files for gears

Could someone comment on how the conf files in /etc/httpd/conf.d/openshift/gearid_app_namespace/ get created and what they are used for?

I was troubleshooting an httpd redirection problem with my node where the /etc/httpd/conf.d/openshift/gearid_app_namespace/00000_default.conf file contained an incorrect domain in the ServerName field. I ended up reviewing the node install procedure in the deployment guide and the problem somehow got fixed but I'm not sure how.

Thanks,
Bob