Re: httpd conf files for gears

Hey Bob,
Yes, those files are created when the gear is created on the node. The purpose of those files is to pass the http traffic from the system apache instance to the gear apache instance. In this way, we can have many gears taking traffic on port 80, yet each gear is securely running their own apache processes.

So, the process goes like this:
* Web browser connects to the node that houses many gears
* The system apache looks at what virtual host is being referenced and then proxy passes the traffic to the correct gear * The gear is running it's own apache process (or tomcat in the case of java, or node web server in the case of nodejs) that handles the http traffic

In the file, you'll see that the system apache is proxy passing specifically to an IP address. This IP address is your gears internal localhost address. It should be something like 127.*.

Does that make sense?

Thomas