Re: Cartridges

Answers in line... let me know if I have not been clear.

/jwh

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gandalf Corvotempesta" <gandalf corvotempesta gmail com>
To: dev lists openshift redhat com
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2012 10:48:24 AM
Subject: Cartridges

HI,
on OpenShift, everything is a cartridge?
-- Cartridges are run in Gears, cartridges make up the components of your application.

For example:
https://github.com/openshift/wordpress-example

rhc app create -a wordpress -t php-5.3

will create a brand new app with a "php-5.3" cartridge enabled, right?
-- Correct.

rhc app cartridge add -a wordpress -c mysql-5.1

will *add* another cartridge to the same app.
-- In your example, yes. Things are different of you had created a scalable application.

So, php-5.3 and mysql-5.1 are both cartridge.
-- Correct

An app needs at least one cartridge?
-- Correct

why not change the CLI to something more uniform like:

rhc app create  -a wordpress --add-cartridge php-5.3
rhc app update -a wordpress --add-cartridge mysql-5.1
rhc app update -a wordpress --remove-cartridge mysql-5.1

?
-- The CLI is currently undergoing a major rewrite. I hope you like simplifications that will be included.

What happens in case of scaling an app with a mysql cartridge loaded?
-- mysql is installed on one gear
-- php-5.3 is installed on another gear(s)

mysql will also be scaled? And if I scale to 7 gears? 7 mysql
instances will be deployed?
-- Currently, we only scale the framework cartridge under load.