Re: Cartridges

Every application needs at least one cartridge.  Eventually that might be an app with just a database, but for now that is a web cartridge (php, ruby, etc).

So app creation is rhc app create <name> <type>.  Eventually we'll allow multiple carts on creation, but that's a rest API thing web haven't fixed yet.

After you have an app, you remove or add cartridges, hence after the changes Jhon mentioned the cli will accept 'rhc cartridge add <type> -a <name>' (currently rhc app cartridge add ....)

In Openshift, capabilities (whether they are code, services, add ons, or external services) are likely to continue to be modeled as cartridges.  The cartridge is  the unifying object that represents adding or removing that service.

We have discussed, but not added, the concept of cartridges exposing configuration options modeled through the rest API as a way of enforcing and making consistent the creation process for a wide range of capabilities (user/pass, scaling params, tunable properties of the cart, external service uuid, paths, etc).