Re: httpd conf files for gears

----- Original Message -----
> Hey Bob,
>      Yes, those files are created when the gear is created on the
>      node.
> The purpose of those files is to pass the http traffic from the
> system
> apache instance to the gear apache instance. In this way, we can have
> many gears taking traffic on port 80, yet each gear is securely
> running
> their own apache processes.
>
> So, the process goes like this:
> * Web browser connects to the node that houses many gears
> * The system apache looks at what virtual host is being referenced
> and
> then proxy passes the traffic to the correct gear
> * The gear is running it's own apache process (or tomcat in the case
> of
> java, or node web server in the case of nodejs) that handles the http
> traffic
>
> In the file, you'll see that the system apache is proxy passing
> specifically to an IP address. This IP address is your gears internal
> localhost address. It should be something like 127.*.
>

> Does that make sense?
>
> Thomas

Thanks Thomas, this does help.

It looks like the source of my install problems revolved around making the following 2 mistakes.

1) Not using a FQDN for either the CONF_BROKER_HOSTNAME or CONF_NODE_HOSTNAME within the installer script.
2) Having my ethernet device set to eth1 as a result of using templates to create the vms (the installer script is hardwired to eth0). I fixed this by editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules after building the vm.

Bob