Re: Fedora Linux considering switching out MySQL for MariaDB

On 01/23/2013 01:39 PM, Mike Khusid wrote:
> http://www.zdnet.com/fedora-linux-considering-switching-out-mysql-for-mariadb-7000010156/
>

> The proposal is yet to be voted upon by FESCO. Does OpenShift have a
> position on this choice?
>
> As you may know, there is an effort to integrate OpenShift Origin in
> Fedora 19: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OpenShift_Origin
>
> Mike

I don't know if I can comment for all of the OpenShift project, but I
can give my personal feelings.

Fedora switching to MariaDB will not affect OpenShift Origin on Fedora.
Why?
- Our backend database in mongodb, so we only use MySQL at a cartridge.
- Since MariaDB is backward compatible with MySQL, it should be very
simple for us to create a MariaDB cartridge.
- We currently don't have the MySQL cartridge in the official Fedora
repo's yet.

So I believe OpenShift Origin can easily deal with whatever FESCO decides.

Troy