Re: gear creation on nodes

For some reason districts get more attention than they deserve. They are a resource allocation scheme to facilitate moving gears between node hosts seamlessly. That is all.

If you want to control where gears physically land, gear profiles are the only present mechanism.

----- Original Message -----
From: "meghdoot bhattacharya" <meghdoot_b yahoo com>
To: "Luke Meyer" <lmeyer redhat com>
Cc: dev lists openshift redhat com
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:42:16 PM
Subject: Re: gear creation on nodes

I was talking to Operations and they like the concept of districts but they are interested in pinning a certain application in a certain district of nodes. In their minds, districts are logical pools that can come and go, they would use LBaaS to dynamically point to these districts for new applications or maybe new versions of applications pushed. They literally manage thousands of app [front, mid and back today]. But as per the discussion below looks like, an app can land in gears in different districts as longs as gear profiles are compatible. But what I think would be great is we have the option to create app X with gear profile Y and additionally with district Z. Validation check will be there if that district does not support Y. Future gear creations for the app in auto scale will be only within that district.
Is this supported by any chance? One way I think is to create a unique gear profile that only few apps want to use and be pinned into a district that is created with the unique gear profile. Then the algorithm will automatically pin the gear creation only within nodes in that district.
Otherwise I guess we may have to add this as a feature ourselves.
Thx