Gear failure detection and correction

If I have a  scalable application, and I detect a failure in one of the gears how can I specifically remove that gear and reallocate it on another node? For instance, if one gear throws an OutOfMemoryError, I'd like to replace only that one gear. The REST API for 5.14 Scale Down Application does not allow me to specify the gear to scale down.

Thanks!
Brian