Re: Draft 1 of PEP005 - Highly available web applications - is available for review

Depends, but I would say it might be better to put that intelligence in the component that handles app create events.  However, there's nothing preventing the plugin receiving the routing spi events from making a decision and recording it in the brokers mongo.

Arguably you need to make the sharding decision based on the current volume of traffic flowing through that router.  For instance, a router that is servicing a high volume app (50+ gears, 1k req/sec) might not be the best place to colocate another high volume app - it may be an operational responsibility to periodically rebalance proxies manually or via scripts.

The assumption is that the routers must scale to handle the highest possible individual volume app deployed in Openshift - well tuned proxies should be able to handle hundreds of thousands of requests a second, but the placement of a high volume app is going to be an important decision.

This part of the pep is a bit vague - mike was planning on flushing out the details of that more.