Use of error codes in REST API responses

I'd like to open a discussion on whether we can remove error codes from the REST API responses.  The error codes are a carry over from the legacy API.  It is my opinion that they are no longer needed in the REST API.  The combination of HTTP status code and error message should be sufficient for the REST clients.  I would be interested to know if any clients are using them, how and why?

Thanks,
Lili