documents about the container environment?

I noticed some behavior differences when my nodejs app runs in openshift gear and locally, although with exactly the same code.

Are there any documents on the container environment? Especially, how one gear is constructed? What are the differences between a gear and a normal shell environment? What are the gear limitations that users should be aware, compared to a normal shell environment?

I know I can read the code. But some quick references would be helpful.

Thanks,

Shoumeng