OpenShift Origin installation issues

Hello,

from the installation options listed at

	https://www.openshift.com/products/origin

I'm trying to use

	http://openshift.github.io//origin/file.install_origin_using_puppet.html

because it's the closest to having some OS and running some
installation and setup steps on it, rather than using some magic which
does it all for me.

I've noticed that the Fedora version was bumped from 18 to 19 on that
page since yesterday, which is a bummer because Fedora 19 hasn't been
released yet. Is Fedora 18 really not (going to be) supported by
OpenShift Origin?

So I went with RHEL 6.4. When I do the

	yum install -y puppet facter tar

step I get puppet-2.6.18-3.el6 installed from EPEL. As a result

       puppet module install openshift/openshift_origin

fails with

	Error: Unknown command module.
	Usage: puppet command <space separated arguments>
	Available commands are: agent, apply, cert, describe, doc, filebucket, i nspect, kick, master, queue, resource

If I try to use the latest greatest puppet from

 	http://yum.puppetlabs.com/el/6Server/products/x86_64/

I get

	Error: Package: puppet-3.2.1-1.el6.noarch (puppet)
		   Requires: ruby-rgen

when even attempting to install puppet.

When I tried it on Fedora 18 (the repo is there at

	https://mirror.openshift.com/pub/origin-server/nightly/fedora-18/latest/x86_64/

with what seem fairly recent packages), I get puppet-2.7.18-1.fc18
installed and then

       	# puppet module install openshift/openshift_origin
	/usr/share/rubygems/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': iconv will be deprecated in the future, use String#encode instead.
	Preparing to install into /etc/puppet/modules ...
	Error: Could not install module 'openshift-openshift_origin' (latest)
	  Directory /etc/puppet/modules does not exist

After I did

	mkdir -p /etc/puppet/modules

I actually got

	Installing -- do not interrupt ...
	/etc/puppet/modules
	└─┬ openshift-openshift_origin (v0.1.10)
	  ├── puppetlabs-ntp (v0.3.0)
	  └── puppetlabs-stdlib (v4.1.0)

and when I create the all-in-one configure_origin.pp, puppet runs and
then fails with multiple errors, starting with

err: /Stage[main]/Openshift_origin::Node/Package[openshift-origin-cartridge-mongodb-2.2]/ensure: change from absent to present failed: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install openshift-origin-cartridge-mongodb-2.2' returned 1: Error: Package: rubygem-openshift-origin-common-1.9.1-1.git.215.babf2d7.fc19.noarch (openshift)
	   Requires: ruby(release)
Error: Package: rubygem-openshift-origin-node-1.10.1-1.git.226.5db356c.fc19.noarch (openshift)
	   Requires: ruby(release)
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

notice: /Stage[main]/Openshift_origin/Package[rhc]/ensure: created
err: /Stage[main]/Openshift_origin::Node/Package[openshift-origin-cartridge-jenkins-client-1.4]/ensure: change from absent to present failed: Execution of '/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install openshift-origin-cartridge-jenkins-client-1.4' returned 1: Error: Package: rubygem-openshift-origin-common-1.9.1-1.git.215.babf2d7.fc19.noarch (openshift)
	   Requires: ruby(release)
Error: Package: rubygem-openshift-origin-node-1.10.1-1.git.226.5db356c.fc19.noar
ch (openshift)
	   Requires: ruby(release)
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Of course, the packages in that Fedora 18 repo are .fc19 so maybe
this really is not supposed to work?

Could that page be updated by someone who knows what the process
should be to make it work at least for RHEL 6? Or possibly Fedora 18
support brought back?

I understand the page is generated from

	./documentation/install_origin_using_puppet.md

and I would gladly make a pull request ... but I have no idea how
things are supposed to work. For example, that mkdir -p, is that
expected step?

Of course, I much preferred the original

	https://www.openshift.com/wiki/build-your-own

page which had the individual steps spelled out, not hidden within
the puppet dependency resolution -- it's nice to be able to see
exactly what is being configured and how, and if something breaks
along the way, you know what was the last step you did and it's much
easier to debug and fix.

Thank you,

--
Jan Pazdziora | adelton at #ipa*, #brno
Principal Software Engineer, Identity Management Engineering, Red Hat