Re: Calling expose_port for domain scoped cartridges

+++ Brenton Leanhardt [17/06/13 05:21 -0400]:
Today we only call expose port for scaled applications.  Would it be
possible to also call it for domain scoped cartridges?

Here's the hack I worked with today to prototype my cartridge:
https://github.com/brenton/origin-server/commit/3b86fbba3f8eab6313d35ca336898035a031c3bb

I'm sure there's more to it then that but that does indeed do what I
need it to do.  Is this a feature we could add?

To better understand the use-case here's what I'm working on:

* A domain scoped cartridge that provides a logstash server.  The
  configuration out of the box will listen on a TCP port for logs and
  send everything to a local file and a websocket port.  (logstash
  supports SSL auth but I haven't tried it yet).  I would like this
  cartridge to be domain scoped so that the experience is like the
  jenkins cartridge.  A developer creates a logstash app and all of
  the apps using the logstash-client automatically start logging to
  it.

  The main problem here is that I need to set Public-Port-Name in the
  mainifest but it won't be used today unless the application is
  scalable.  It's not using HTTP so I can't go through any of the web
  proxies (which is how Jenkins works).  My other gears need to know
  how to find this domain scoped cartridge.

* A plugin cartridge that will run the logstash file monitor on all
  log files.  I'm thinking of having it only send updates to the
  logstash server once minute. This could be tuned fairly easily.

--Brenton