Re: Calling expose_port for domain scoped cartridges

+++ Wesley Hearn [17/06/13 07:49 -0400]:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brenton Leanhardt" <bleanhar redhat com>
To: dev lists openshift redhat com
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 5:40:48 AM
Subject: Re: Calling expose_port for domain scoped cartridges

+++ Brenton Leanhardt [17/06/13 05:21 -0400]:
>Today we only call expose port for scaled applications.  Would it be
>possible to also call it for domain scoped cartridges?
>
>Here's the hack I worked with today to prototype my cartridge:
>https://github.com/brenton/origin-server/commit/3b86fbba3f8eab6313d35ca336898035a031c3bb
>
>I'm sure there's more to it then that but that does indeed do what I
>need it to do.  Is this a feature we could add?

To better understand the use-case here's what I'm working on:

* A domain scoped cartridge that provides a logstash server.  The
   configuration out of the box will listen on a TCP port for logs and
   send everything to a local file and a websocket port.  (logstash
   supports SSL auth but I haven't tried it yet).  I would like this
   cartridge to be domain scoped so that the experience is like the
   jenkins cartridge.  A developer creates a logstash app and all of
   the apps using the logstash-client automatically start logging to
   it.

   The main problem here is that I need to set Public-Port-Name in the
   mainifest but it won't be used today unless the application is
   scalable.  It's not using HTTP so I can't go through any of the web
   proxies (which is how Jenkins works).  My other gears need to know
   how to find this domain scoped cartridge.

* A plugin cartridge that will run the logstash file monitor on all
   log files.  I'm thinking of having it only send updates to the
   logstash server once minute. This could be tuned fairly easily.

>--Brenton

I will just leave these here:

https://github.com/danryan/woodchuck or https://github.com/josegonzalez/beaver
https://github.com/smarterclayton/openshift-redis-cart
http://logstash.net/docs/1.1.13/inputs/redis

No need to have every application running a java app to just send logs.

I'm mostly just protyping things but those tools look interesting.
Beaver seems like it has most of the required features.  Honestly,
what I'd like to do is somehow just use the cron cartridge.  Cron
would trigger a script that would figure out where it left off and
push the logs in an efficient format.

The main thing I want to accomplish is having a logging solution that
requires no application modifications.  Apps log to files and the
details of how the logs make it to a central location is not a concern
for the developer (and can be easily changed by the cartridge author
as better tools develop).