include doc and RPM build process in origin-server file tree?

Recently I've been writing up what it takes for someone who wants to build the origin-server packages on their own.  The nuts and bolts of finding the root of each RPM directory and (one way of) identifying the list of build dependencies is posted at http://cloud-mechanic.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-bleeding-edge-building-openshift.html

devenv will do all three of these tasks (install dependencies, build RPMs, generate docs) but it seems strange to me that I *need* a additional tool (meant to generate AMIs for testing) just to build the RPMs and yum repo. I think that we may already have tools in place that with a little work would automate these tasks without requiring an additional non-standard tool. In fact, Krishna's already done some of this in the Rakefile at the top of the tree.  There's a target there named doc:gen that will walk the entire source tree and generate yardoc documentation, placing it in a location at the top of the tree.

My first inclination is that comparable targets for gems (where applicable) and rpms would make the build process more intuitive for people who want or need to build the packages but do not need all of the additional aspects of building AMIs or liveCD images.

I've put together a quartet of rake tasks that, if placed in the root of the right directories could be used to get the effect I'm looking for.  It would not be hard to write a task at the root that would call these for all package trees.

--------------------------

require 'yard'
desc "Generate documentation"
YARD::Rake::YardocTask.new() do |t|
  docdir = ENV['docdir']
  if not docdir == nil
    t.options = ["--output-dir", docdir]
  end
end

#
# Install build requirements
#
# Use sudo(1) if caller is not root
#
desc "Install build dependencies for this package"
task :builddep, :answer do |t, args|
  specfiles = Dir.glob("*.spec")
  if specfiles.length != 1 then
    raise Exception.new("there must be exactly one specfile")
  end
  builddep_cmd = "yum-builddep #{specfiles[0]}"
  if not args['answer'] == nil then
    if not ['yes', 'no'].include? args['answer']
      raise Exception.new("builddep answer must be 'yes' or 'no'")
    end
    builddep_cmd += " --assume#{args['answer']}"
  end
  builddep_cmd = "sudo " + builddep_cmd if not Process.uid == 0
  system builddep_cmd
end

desc "Create installable RPM package"
task :rpm, :test do |t, args|
  build_cmd = "tito build --rpm"

  repodir = ENV['repodir']
  if repodir then
    if not repodir == nil && (not File.exists? repodir) then
      raise Exception.new("RPM directory does not exist")
    end
    build_cmd += "--output #{repodir}"
  end

  if args[:test] then
    build_cmd += " --test"
  end
  system build_cmd
end

desc "Create installable RPM package for testing"
task :testrpm do
  Rake.application.invoke_task("rpm[true]")
end

---

A set of tasks in the top Rakefile which would find and invoke those further down in the tree would make rebuilding single components or the whole tree a fairly simple matter, both self-contained and consistant:

rake yard - generate docs here (and below)
rake rpm  - generate the most recent tagged package
rake testrpm - generate a test package or packages

Upsides:

* use existing well known tools
* remove complexity from devenv (let it do what it does well)
* consistent task method (you want to X, use rake)
* ability to work at the appropriate scale (build one, build all)
* task code is kept close to the source code (allows customization as needed: pam_openshift?)

Downsides:

* global changes to build tasks require changes in each RPM root.
* "duplicates" functions already in devenv
* install build dependencies requires one call per RPM (likely duplication)

Comments? Other suggestions?

- Mark

--
Mark Lamourine <markllama redhat com>
Sr. Software Developer, Cloud Engineering