From: "Mike McGrath" <mmcgrath redhat com>
To: "Steven Citron-Pousty" <spousty redhat com>
Cc: dev lists openshift redhat com, "Jeffrey Bride" <jbride redhat com>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 2:47:01 PM
Subject: Re: question about explicitly stopped application

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013, Steven Citron-Pousty wrote:

> Sometimes we need to do force-stop to make sure it is good and stopped.

That's true, and for people who aren't familiar with force-stop. Stop just
does a normal stop, but sometimes a gear might get into a stuck state (for
example it's out of resources).  At that point the gear can't spawn the
'stop' process and the gear becomes wedged.

force-stop issues a kill -9 to the gear.  It should be used rarely but
it's useful when you need a big hammer.

        -Mike