From: "Mike McGrath" <mmcgrath redhat com>
To: "Vojtech Vitek" <vvitek redhat com>
Cc: dev lists openshift redhat com
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:51:57 AM
Subject: Re: template directory structure

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013, Vojtech Vitek wrote:

> Hi,
>
> following the PHP public dir discussion
> https://lists.openshift.redhat.com/openshift-archives/dev/2013-March/msg00079.html
>
> I was thinking of the base cartridge template (and thus also quickstarts) directory
> structure. What I think would be simplest and most clear command to deploy any
> PHP framework to the OpenShift:
>
> $ rhc app create drupal php-5.3 mysql-5.1 cron --from-code=git://github.com/drupal/drupal.git
>
> Meaning that I'm able to deploy any upstream source code right away without any
> of the OpenShift glue files, such as:
>
> .openshift
> libs
> misc
> README.md
> deplist.txt
> php/<UPSTREAM FILES>
>
> What I propose is putting all of the OpenShift config files to the .openshift/
> directory, so the git root directory is always "clear" and compatible with upstream:
> .openshift/deplist.txt
> .openshift/libs/
> .openshift/action_hooks/
> .openshift/install_profiles/
> .openshift/markers
> <UPSTREAM FILES> (could be misc/, libs/ etc.)
>
> What would be the long-term benefit of this? The upstreams would be able to
> maintain their own .openshift/ directory themselves and there would be no need
> of "<upstream>-quickstart.git" repos! => NO LOCK-IN
>
> I'm looking forward your opinions on this.

I've always been against this because it makes it difficult for people to
make things part of your application but not have it exposed to the
internet.  Sure there's protections you can use, call stuff .php, use
.htaccess but my point is that it's super easy to make a mistake here
especially if you don't know what you're doing.

But having said that, it does seem users want to use the root directory
and I don't know that I'm the person who should be telling them they're
wrong :).  I will say I don't think I'm a fan of .openshift/libs/ assuming
your intention was for application data to be in there, something feels
wrong about that.

	-Mike