Re: template directory structure

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> following the PHP public dir discussion
> https://lists.openshift.redhat.com/openshift-archives/dev/2013-March/msg00079.html
>
> I was thinking of the base cartridge template (and thus also
> quickstarts) directory
> structure. What I think would be simplest and most clear command to
> deploy any
> PHP framework to the OpenShift:
>
> $ rhc app create drupal php-5.3 mysql-5.1 cron
> --from-code=git://github.com/drupal/drupal.git
>
> Meaning that I'm able to deploy any upstream source code right away
> without any
> of the OpenShift glue files, such as:
>
> .openshift
> libs
> misc
> README.md
> deplist.txt
> php/<UPSTREAM FILES>
>
> What I propose is putting all of the OpenShift config files to the
> .openshift/
> directory, so the git root directory is always "clear" and compatible
> with upstream:
> .openshift/deplist.txt
> .openshift/libs/
> .openshift/action_hooks/
> .openshift/install_profiles/
> .openshift/markers
> <UPSTREAM FILES> (could be misc/, libs/ etc.)
>
> What would be the long-term benefit of this? The upstreams would be
> able to
> maintain their own .openshift/ directory themselves and there would
> be no need
> of "<upstream>-quickstart.git" repos! => NO LOCK-IN

Is there a real likelihood upstream will do this?  I tend to doubt it for any of the big apps.  As mike noted libs is questionable - would be better to just remove it, but the rest makes sense.

One note - we can't break all the existing PHP apps on openshift, so we still have to support multiple root directories.