Any reason why user action hooks have to be +x?

Thinking through this... we've had a number of folks who hit the old "oops, my action hooks aren't +x".  Since we are no longer including the hooks in cart templates, it makes it more likely a new user is going to end up wasting their time trying to fix an arbitrary problem (it's burned even experienced developers).  Also, windows developers can't even easily fix modes - requires some git knowledge.

Is there a good reason we can't just "/bin/sh" each hook directly or auto +x it?  Or auto +x during deployment?

I vaguely remember discussions, would like to have a discussion on it.