Re: Any reason why user action hooks have to be +x?

I can't remember the arguments against setting the modes on the user's behalf (or working around the modes another way to make them irrelevant) when this came up in the past leading to the current design/documentation. I'm in favor of finding some way to eliminate the mode requirement. I can't think of any reason we should support a case where the user commits a non-executable script to the hooks directory that they intend to be ignored simply due to the mode (e.g. if you want to commit but disable the hook, rename or move it).

--
Dan Mace
Sr. Software Engineer, Red Hat