Re: Any reason why user action hooks have to be +x?

From an end users perspectives it is much simpler for me to think:

Drop a script in this dir and it gets executed at the following time

rather than

Drop a script in this dir, remember to change the permissions to set execute bit (and if I am on windows what does that mean), and then it will get executed at the following times

Things should just work by convention. Hence the reason I am developing on a PaaS

From: "Jhon Honce" <jhonce redhat com>
To: "Clayton Coleman" <ccoleman redhat com>
Cc: dev lists openshift redhat com
Sent: Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:01:16 PM
Subject: Re: Any reason why user action hooks have to be +x?

As we transitioned more of the cartridge control/layout to the cartridge author's and application developers. We have some well known directories for executables, but the cartridge author can place executables anywhere with that flexibility, there is responsibility. I also think running a script I made chmod a-x seems very nasty.

.openshift/action_hooks would require chmod'ing those files on every deploy. To keep paying that price, also seems wrong.

/jwh