Question about MongoDB

Hi all,

I am still a rookie in MongoDb but I am trying to understand its internal mechanisms.
>From what I see, when adding a mongodb cartridge to an application, Openshift starts a new mongod process with generated standard configuration and some generated password for admin account. My question is, what happens if there is another process listening at the given local interface and port (if I configure my mongod to listen on all interfaces).

E.g: [initandlisten] ERROR: listen(): bind() failed errno:98 Address already in use for socket: 127.0.251.2:27017

How does one go about that?
And how can I use the environment variables for mongodb config? aka OPENSHIFT_MONGODB_*

Thank you for your help!