REMOTE_USER Convo Starter

Hi team,

For a week or two I've been talking to Adam M. (IRC: maxamillion) about a question I have (and for) which I'm trying to get the adoption of OSO in my workplace.  Digging around, I see a few excellent and EZ to use plugins for auth mechanisms.  After talking to him, it was determined that OSO was also designed to authenticate with almost anything that Apache can serve it (via REMOTE_USER).

Of course we all know that most enterprise entities prefer to use KRB or LDAP auth, my client requires any person (who's been issued a DS cert) to be able to "auto-login" in order to use/test this Pilot Environment.  My issue is: I can't seem to figure it out how to get it all working using DS Certs.

Although, I was able to verify that my specific brand of madness works with the following:

1. A clean install of FC19 on a new VM
2. A configured and working HTTPS Enabled Apache server.
3. Another (different) SS Cert created, and imported into FF Browser.
4. The adjusting SSL params to use: SSLUserName, SSLVerifyClient optional_no_ca (for testing only), and the SSLOptions (standard) Directives.
    a. A simple CGI script, which dumps all EnvVars.
    b. REMOTE_USER properly retains the 'SSLVerifyClient SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_CN' contents for EZ usage, and can be tested by calling my test CGI app.

The difficulty that I am experiencing trying it against a fresh OSO install, is, that when I tried the same configuration options w/ OSO's proxy -- it doesn't seem to want to authenticate.  It falls back to basic_auth.  I'll admit that I tried several files, and I can only imagine that there is a specific one that I have to edit.  I tried all the standard locations of /etc/httpd, /var/www/openshift/console/httpd/conf.d/, and a few others.

I assume that some form of mongo, FakeBasicAuth + htaccess, or other authentication mech needs to be explored in conjunction with the REMOTE_USER being passed regularly, or with http headers.  I also assume that in the case of OSO the proxy configs (reverse?) will need some massaging, right?  Or is it as simple as writing a new plugin?  If so, does anyone have a working one that I can reference/glean?

All of that to ask:

How does one configure OSO to allow for PKI DS user auth? Even if I can pass the correct user info via REMOTE_USER to OSO, I'll still need to add that user to the DB with some common/predetermined password --> since the DN is the real identifying pice of info that is unique to every user in the org.  If I get that working, can I still have it fallback to basic_auth incase I'll need to login as the admin?  (If not, can I assign a 'real' user as an admin afterwards?)

Essentially, if I can avoid it: I don't want to manually enable/create accounts for every user;  which, in my case will easily span 1k users for my test env.

Thanks ahead of time for my caveman explanations, as I am not a proper dev.

R/S

PS: I just left 'The Company' after a few years stint as a GPS Consultant (michael redhat com) to work a little closer to home.  (We have a new addition to the family.)  Thank you for all of your hard work, one Red Hatter to all you others out there.

Mike