Re: oo-install re: disconnected mode?

On 2/3/14, 5:44 PM, N. Harrison Ripps wrote:
On Feb 3, 2014, at 17:28 , Luke Meyer <lmeyer redhat com> wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "N. Harrison Ripps" <hripps redhat com>
To: "The Dude" <michael mcconachie hotmail com>
Cc: dev lists openshift redhat com
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2014 10:08:15 AM
Subject: Re: oo-install re: disconnected mode?

Hey there--

On Jan 31, 2014, at 18:01 , The Dude <michael mcconachie hotmail com>
wrote:

Hi Team,

Harrison: Thanks for your hard work on this.  I downloaded, and
tested the new 01/28/2014 portable installer. I was able to
install a broker after your '--use-existing-puppet' additions.
Although, when trying to use oo-install to install nodes,
something seems amiss.

In the interest of adding node(s) to an existing broker (via
oo-install):

When I use oo-install to add a node to an existing env, it bombs.
It successfully ssh's to the node, and applies the puppet pieces.
It does some work and reports a completed install with no errors.
If I do a concurrent tail of /var/log/messages on the node (as the
oo-installer is running from a different machine) I can see it
attempt to set NTP time sources, and it yum installs some packages
and deps before closing the SSH connection and reporting a
successful install. Its definitely doing work, and then being told
to stop at some point.

I rolled back the VM with snapshots, and tried again. This time
with the pure puppet approach, and no oo-install wrapper. I built
a quick node.pp based off of the puppet
guide, and attempted a 'puppet apply --verbose node.pp'. It bombed
via erroring out after trying to reach out to the real world to
calculate
deps, and download them. (In node.pp I tried setting the
install_method
to 'yum', and 'none'. Both yield the same effect.)

So, I am wondering: does oo-install do a global replace on the
repos vars concerning
all of Krishna's puppet pieces, to keep them from reaching out to
the
real world? I know you can set it to 'yum' or 'none', and setting
it to
'none' seems to meet my needs of reaching out to an internal repo
for
installing rpms.
The intention of 'none' is that no RPM installations should be
attempted at all. The system expects that all of the software is in
place and just needs to be configured.
Whoah, we should be clear about this.

Now... this could have drifted since we defined it, but the original intention of install method "none" was that the system's yum repos are all set up exactly the way desired already -- no modifications needed. But then the RPM install still happens based on those repos.

So if you can provide all the RPMs in a way that yum can get what it needs (whether internal/external/NFS/local HD/DVD-ROM...), and don't want oo-install to monkey with your yum configuration, but still want it to figure out which RPMs are needed and install those - that's what "none" was for.

Is that not still the case?

Aah, in that case that is what I have been doing. It's rewarding to know that my initial assumptions were correct; for a minute, I thought I might have had it all backwards.

None the less, I have some very stringent (and somewhat hard requirements) concerning my client, and reproducing it here to bounce off the list. To circumvent that, I decided to get a FRESH and UPDATED copy of everything, and do it again in an environment where I can post my progress.

I made some ground debugging it all today, and I need to confirm before I generate more noise.

As always, thanks for the input all. It's invaluable, and always appreciated.

MM

Sorry, I may have mis-stated things. Krishna, can you confirm that what Luke has described above is also true for the puppet module?

oo-install needs to be a little smarter in this context; when it
sanity checks the system, it will still run a `yum provides` if it
finds that you are missing a required executable. I need to drop
that behavior for subscription method 'none' and just tell the user
- "you are missing ${utility}; go fix it".

That said, once oo-install hands the job off to our puppet module,
you should see no 'yum' anything for subscription type 'none'.
However, I think what you are trying to do is to split the
difference. You have a yum repo that you've set up, but for some yum
commands, it sounds like yum is trying to contact the mother ship
instead of going to your repo. Let us know which yum commands are
causing probles for you and we should be able to sort this out;
those commands just need to be made to always look for the answers
in your local repo.

All that to say I am looking to see if anyone has ideas for a semi
automated install (outside of my scripting it all - which I'm
about to just do, and give back to the community)? The reason for
all of this, pertaining to subj: line is that I need to accomplish
an install, in an
environment which is ENTIRELY disconnected from the internet. If
one
were to have a requirement, where they were disallowed INTERNET
ACCESS
of any kind, and the only method of getting binaries, was to import
them
manually - and have the VM's in question communicate on their own
internal network(s) - how would they install openshift using the
currently available puppet manifests, and repos?

Is it possible that we can craft hooks for oo-install to have the
puppet work in a --disconnected mode?  (Yaml file, or some
variable that is set to determine the software sources)

What I have done:

--Import and Create a FC19 + Updates repo
--Import and Create an OSO3 repo
--Import and Create a puppet-openshift_origin git repo; installed
it into /etc/puppet/modules/openshift_origin as we do for regular
deployments
--Import and Create an openshift-origin git repo (for later use if
I wanna go from source..)
--downloaded, and installed oo-installer + all deps for using
oo-installer

I have a broker, and 4 nodes. They can all see each other. They are
all updated, and have their rpm and git repos in place and usable.

I have a good, working broker - from what I can tell thus far.

Happy weekend to all of us.

--Mike