Re: OpenSHift Origin

Hey Andrew--

On Feb 14, 2014, at 12:28 AM, Andrew Lau <andrew andrewklau com> wrote:

> Hi Harrison,
>
> To clarify, when you mean OpenShift instance are you talking about just the broker itself?

I’m referring to all OpenShift components. If the Node hosts are not updated, I don’t believe that there is any guarantee that they will continue to function against a newer Broker.

> I'm interested to know what the scenario would be if all the components are broken down into different hosts (eg. redundant brokers, activemq, mongo and finally nodes). Then that becomes quite a time consuming process to be jumping through quite a lot of hosts just to do upgrades.

The time involved increases with number of hosts no matter which way you manage your upgrade. My own opinion is that there is a big advantage in standing up a newer parallel Origin instance versus an in-place upgrade. Namely, you have the luxury of testing the new deployment in its entirety before you flip the switch.

> Are there also documentations on how to do these upgrades?

Nothing in the documentation that we host on openshift.github.io. As I said, this hasn’t been a priority for Origin. I’d prefer to see a more robust snapshot-and-restore instrumentation that can migrate applications between OpenShift instances. This not only provides Origin admins with an upgrade strategy as I described above, but it also gives developers the flexibility to more easily move their apps to a completely separate Origin instance. As an example: moving from your internal PaaS for app development to your external PaaS for production apps, and taking the current DB state with you.

> It'd be nice to see some sort of rolling release cycle implemented into some parts, ie. standalone broker servers which to my understanding can be considered stateless as they rely on mongodb.

This sort of thing may be possible, I haven’t personally tried it out. As with all things Origin, if we can document the process, we can start to think about how to build tooling around it. If you want to start putting something together, I can help you AsciiDoc it up.

> P.S. How goes the new build process, I'm edging to see my mariadb commit :-D

Great question, long answer. I’ll start a new thread with an update on that.