Re: Quickstart "API"

----- Original Message -----
> Hi Clayton, Hi John
>
> I'd like to follow up with the discussion we had in the OpenShift/JBoss
> Tools sync call:
>
> 1) We need to be sure that the current Quickstart API is stable for the
> lifetime of the upcoming JBoss Tools / JBoss Developer Studio GA release
> (at least 1y).

I think we can commit to that (the /v1 prefix)

> 2) The Quickstarts missing the disctinction btw. web- and
> addon-cartridges is annoying: we would have been able to reuse our
> existing wizard pages (enabling/disabling configurations that the user
> cannot freely set) if the distinction was in place. But we can live with
> it, we'll just have to create another specific wizard page for quick starts.

At some point we'll remove the "1 web framework per app" limitation.

> 3) When listing existing quickstarts you want us to only show the
> promoted ones, right? Isn't it somehow unexpected for the user to get
> different results when explicitly searching than in the list of
> quickstarts he gets presented? A rich client like Eclipse would query
> the full list only once and cache it. Not sure if server load would be
> an argument in the context of a rich client?

It's more that "promoted" is our standard quick starts, where as everything else is part of the community.  I'm a bit worried about giving those full visibility by default, especially because they may have security holes, be flawed or buggy, or simply not work.  I'm not opposed to showing them, just that I don't think they'll necessarily reflect well on us.