Hot off the presses: the Vagrant Deployment Guide

Hey all--
Last week I put out the first draft of the OpenShift Contributor's Guide and got some great feedback. The Contributor's Guide tells you where to find the code, the planned features, and even the bugs. What it doesn't tell you is how to actually set up a development environment and get hacking.

This week I've taken Krishna's awesome OpenShift plugin for Vagrant and written a guide on how to set it up and use it for real OpenShift development work:

http://openshift.github.io/documentation/oo_deployment_guide_vagrant.html

Check it out if you have a chance. This is -the- approach for setting up a development instance of OpenShift Origin on your own system. With it you can modify the source code on your system and then sync it into a locally-hosted all-in-one OpenShift system to try it out.

I've also made some minor updates to the Contributor's Guide to reflect the central role that this Vagrant-based deployment will have in our community-driven development work.

A few things that bear mentioning:

1. Right now, you've got to install the vagrant-openshift Vagrant plugin from source (don't worry, the process is documented in the 'Guide). Eventually the plugin will be published, but it isn't quite ready for prime-time yet.

2. `vagrant test` works flawlessly against openshift-origin-release-3 branch, as one would expect :-) However, the tests have been restructured since we released Origin 3.0 and the vagrant-openshift plugin has yet to be updated. Fixing these is next on my list, but if you want to take a crack at it, contact me off-list.

Thanks again for your feedback from last week! I hope you all have a chance to hammer on our Vagrant plugin and let me know what's working and what's broken.

Cheers,
Harrison