Re: openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies

On 01/20/2014 11:05 AM, Jason DeTiberus wrote:
On 20/01/14 10:53 -0600, Troy Dawson wrote:
Round 2:
- removed the generic packages (would cause too much confusion)
- all dependency package names correspond to the cartridge names
(jbossas, jbosseap, etc..)
-- This also cuts down on the confusion
- Created an optional-all and recommended-all packages
-- These pull in all the optional, or recommended dependency packages.
-- This is for places like OpenShift Online that plan on installing
everything.

openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-optional-all
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-optional-jbossas
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-optional-jbosseap
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-optional-jbossews
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-optional-nodejs
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-optional-perl
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-optional-php
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-optional-python
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-optional-ruby
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-recommended-all
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-recommended-jbossas
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-recommended-jbosseap
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-recommended-jbossews
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-recommended-nodejs
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-recommended-perl
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-recommended-php
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-recommended-python
openshift-origin-cartridge-dependencies-recommended-ruby

If these names seem right, I'll move onto Round 3.  This is to start
putting dependencies in them.

These look good to me.

Round 3 - Adding the dependencies
Do the following rules seem good.

Recommended:
- Language specific database modules (ie. perl-MongoDB)
- Packages that seem like many things need it, but arn't in RHEL
Optional (ie. libjpeg)

Optional:
- Packages in RHEL Optional
- Everything else

Ideally for Enterprise, we'd want the distinction made between
recommended and optional to be based on what we ship/support in
Enterprise.  Otherwise we will end up with a situation where we are
still having to carry patchsets for these packages like we do the
current cartridge packages.
So, for example in Enterprise-2.0 (this will change once we have a
supported SCL mongo we can consume, and the cartridge is updated to
use it), we'd want the mongodb modules to be in optional, but the
mysql modules could be in recommended.

Good point.  What if we changed Recommended to this.

- Must be in basic RHEL Server (not Optional or any extra channels)
-- Language specific database modules (ie. perl-DBD-MySQL)
-- Packages that seem like many things need it.

Troy

I know that some of that will be a judgment call, like libjpeg, and
for any of those, I won't feel bad if someone disagrees with what I
put  in.

Troy