Using a custom git template without customizing the cart

I'm certain we had a conversation on this but I'm having trouble recalling the outcome. Someone please help my failing mental faculties.

Suppose I want to install OpenShift and use the standard cartridges, but I'd just like to personalize the git templates they come with - you know, "Welcome to FooBarCo's OpenShift" instead of our standard app template. You can tell everyone to use --from-code with your internal repo, but who wants to do that? Wasn't there a way to administratively make set the default --from-code or something like that?