Re: openshift origin cartridge questions

I can help with the first 2:

1) yes that's no problem as long as the different versions of postgresql are properly installed on the nodes and the manifests of the two cartridges are correct (or the single cartridge..  in some cases we have a single cartridge which offers multiple versions of a runtime, such as our python cartridge, but either approach is technically viable).

2) http://openshift.github.io/documentation/oo_cartridge_developers_guide.html#cartridge-metadata

you may find this blog series helpful also as it includes useful steps on how to debug a cartridge that's not deploying successfully:
https://www.openshift.com/blogs/new-openshift-cartridge-format-part-1
https://www.openshift.com/blogs/new-openshift-cartridge-format-part-2
https://www.openshift.com/blogs/new-openshift-cartridge-format-part-3

I'm not sure what you mean by "if the packages in the provides section of the manifest were installed" as that is not the purpose of the provides section of the manifest.  Hopefully the link in #2 will clarify this for you.

Ben Parees | OpenShift