Custom Cartridge MongoDB

Hey everyone,

I am fixing to write a custom mongodb + 'Hello World' cartridge.
I have been reading a lot about implementing cartridges but this is my first attempt.
My idea is to run the mongod process on an external host (which is part of a replica set). The application itself should be replicated on a backup deployment of Openshift. I need some type of a hook for that, plus a way to communicate with Openshift.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some tipps to get started. I am looking at the mongodb cartridge from the repository, and the mock cartridge.
Has anyone done something similar or has some suggestions to where to start?

Thanks!