Auto Binding of MYSQL cartridge

Hi All

I have a question - regarding binding of MYSQL service provided by Open Shift.

Is there a way  in which an application bound to MYSQL  (any instance say local or external) can start using OpenShift MYSQL instance by just adding the cartrdige to the app ,without making simgle line of change in the application itself. (By no changes I mean ,not using the OpenShift variables explicitly)

I know its a challenging requirement -and I thought this may not be possible in any Paas
but then I stepped upon this feature in CF -

https://spring.io/blog/2011/11/04/using-cloud-foundry-services-with-spring-part-2-auto-reconfiguration

Any thoughts on this ? and how it can be accomplished in Open Shift -?

Thanks
Shabna