Re: Building openshift rpms from source without vagrant?

On Jul 6, 2014, at 2:49, Andrew Lau <andrew andrewklau com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 2:32 AM, The Dude <michael mcconachie hotmail com> wrote:
>>
>> On 7/5/14, 8:11 AM, N. Harrison Ripps wrote:
>>
>> Hey all--
>> Right now the nightly RPMs for Origin are being built using Vagrant. So,
>> even if you don't want to use Vagrant, you can look there to see how it is
>> being done. Specifically, have a look at the Rakefile that Vagrant places on
>> the build VM:
>>
>> https://github.com/openshift/vagrant-openshift/blob/master/lib/vagrant-openshift/templates/builder/Rakefile#L57
>>
>> It is iterating through the sources, using the Ruby RPM gem to build each
>> according to the spec file.
>>
>> Regarding the documentation: I need any help that I can get keeping the docs
>> up to date. Once v4 is officially cut I will be turning my focus to some
>> pretty exciting changes to our doc system, but that won't magically simplify
>> the task of keeping the docs current. So, if you see a problem with the
>> docs, I encourage you to submit a pull request against the source. All of
>> the doc sources live at:
>
> Hi Harrison,
>
> Thanks for coming to the rescue, again!
>
> I was following that for a while, I'm still trying to understand how
> the pieces come together. If I understand correctly, the vagrant box
> will pull the source, use tito to build the SRPMs and then tito+mock
> to build the RPMs?

That is what the Vagrant box does. Last week I learned a -lot- about what goes into building the real RPMs from one of our resident RPM sorcerers, Adam Miller.

If you'd like to see a utility that uses a RHEL or CentOS build system to make the RPMs for serious, check out the script that he is preparing for inclusion in origin-server:

https://github.com/maxamillion/origin-server/tree/maxamillion/origin_build_instructions/rel-eng/build_instructions

Adam and others both inside and outside of Red Hat will be getting huge shout-outs from me when we formally announce Origin v4.