Re: v3 to v4 migration

Hi Harrison,
i know that there aren't any upgrade utilities, and i am thinking about some painless solution.

What i mean:
Using of oo-* utils for one kind of tasks (for example gears). Custom migration scripts for another tasks for example database and so on.

Can you give us any advices as an expert, because i have only few months experience with OO and there are a lot of things that i have no idea for them :)

Will be very useful if you guys from RedHat give us some tips or steps or procedures ... for example:

1. For database migration do these things ...
2. For migration of gears do these things
3. and so on.

I think this will be very useful for us folks from the community, because this will be like a little plan and if there are some enthusiasts from the community like me we can try to follow these steps and we can try to build some migration bundle.

This will be useful and for featured migration to the newest major version.

Actually if this works as strategy we can build and maintain lets call it "Migration Guide" and when the newest version comes we can call for help from other folks from the community.

What do you think?

Thanks :)

Поздрави,
Мариан Игнев

---
www: http://m.ignev.net/
twitter: @mignev

Hey Marian--

On Jul 14, 2014, at 8:51, Marian Ignev <m ignev gmail com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> I have more than 50 users with 200+ apps and 70+ namespaces and so on.
>
> Any advices which will be the easiest way to migrate the database from v3?

Questions about how to migrate from v3 to v4 have come up often on the list. There are no direct upgrade utilities for Origin, though there are community members who have been working on in-place solutions for their specific deployments.

I've been advocating for a better snapshot utility over a migration tool, but obviously this isn't going to be the best approach for everyone. I've moved this discussion to its own thread for anyone who wants to chime in with their ideas.

--Harrison