Re: v3 to v4 migration

Hello Guys, i've been working on Origin Release-to-Release migration since V1.
It's a pretty trick work since there's no documentation on what have changed "mainly on datastore" so i choose the approach of update first and fix what has broken..

You can check my work at https://github.com/getupcloud/getup-utils

I started release4 migration last week, i believe in the next couple days i have some scripts to share, help will be appreciate.

Hey Marian--

On Jul 14, 2014, at 10:16, Marian Ignev <m ignev gmail com> wrote:

> Actually I have another one question:
>
> What you guys doing to keep the OpenShift online up-to-date with OO repo?
>
> These changes to online are may be some patches?
>
> These patches can it be exported, somehow?

I'm not part of the ops team that maintains OpenShift Online, but as I understand it, yes, they prepare mini-migration scripts to transition Online from one release to the next when necessary. However, I also know that our Enterprise team prepares a much larger migration utility for subscribers and that it is not accurate to say that their utility is just a superset of the scripts that were created by the Online ops folks. Similarly, many of the release-to-release changes in Online would not be relevant for Origin as well.

More comments below...

> Поздрави,
> Мариан Игнев
>
> ---
> www: http://m.ignev.net/
> twitter: @mignev

> Hi Harrison,
> i know that there aren't any upgrade utilities, and i am thinking about some painless solution.
>
> What i mean:
> Using of oo-* utils for one kind of tasks (for example gears). Custom migration scripts for another tasks for example database and so on.
>
> Can you give us any advices as an expert, because i have only few months experience with OO and there are a lot of things that i have no idea for them :)
>
> Will be very useful if you guys from RedHat give us some tips or steps or procedures ... for example:
>
> 1. For database migration do these things ...
> 2. For migration of gears do these things
> 3. and so on.

My personal engineering focus is on enabling Origin installations and developers. However there are other folks on the team who would have a clearer idea on these and hopefully they'll weigh in. That said, I -know- there are community members who are tackling this problem and I urge them to comment as well :-)

> I think this will be very useful for us folks from the community, because this will be like a little plan and if there are some enthusiasts from the community like me we can try to follow these steps and we can try to build some migration bundle.
>
> This will be useful and for featured migration to the newest major version.
>
> Actually if this works as strategy we can build and maintain lets call it "Migration Guide" and when the newest version comes we can call for help from other folks from the community.
>
> What do you think?

As I just mentioned, I know that there are community members out there who are also looking to solve this problem. I highly encourage folks to collaborate on this, and I would be happy to add a Migration Guide to our documentation set if the community produces one.