Re: Network Issues with v4 image

Hey Kevin--

On Jul 21, 2014, at 16:24, Kevin Conaway <kevin conaway gmail com> wrote:

> I'm running the v4 image (https://mirror.openshift.com/pub/origin-server/release/4/images/openshift-origin.tgz) in VirtualBox and there were a few networking issues that I had to bypass in order to make it work properly.
>
> 1.) There doesn't seem to be any support for a second network device.  The install instructions (http://openshift.github.io/documentation/oo_deployment_guide_vm.html#add-bridged-networking) indicate that adapter1 should be NAT and adapter2 should be set for bridged.  If you follow those instructions, bridged networking doesn't work because there is no second adapter.

You can configure both VirtualBox adapters against the same physical network adapter on your host. For some reason, on VirtualBox only, mDNS doesn't work correctly unless two adapters are defined. Also note that the VM ships with a .vbox file; you can launch your VM from that file and it should include the two adapter configs already.

> 2.) The MDNS_SERVER value in /etc/openshift/plugins.d/openshift-origin-dns-avahi.conf is incorrect.  The value is 192.168.2.9 which causes timeouts when trying to create apps or do anything with the broker service.  Changing the value to localhost and restarting fixes the issue.
>
> 3.) The PUBLIC_IP value in /etc/openshift/node.conf is also set to 192.168.2.9.  This doesn't seem to have any effect that I have seen though.

Both of these are holdovers from building the VM. Thanks for bringing this to my attention; I'll include fixes in the VM refresh.

--Harrison