From: "Andrew Lau" <andrew andrewklau com>
To: "Luke Meyer" <lmeyer redhat com>
Cc: "Openshift Dev" <dev lists openshift redhat com>
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2014 9:50:03 AM
Subject: Re: HA applications - and docs

The answer of silence!

I was curious in understanding how the in built HA option works, based
on one of the previous (now 404) PEP's it mentioned components such as
moving the loadbalancer outside of gears and onto the nodes, also
using activemq routing and something like Nginx (ie. [1] and [2])

They are cool and all, but no 'out of the box' solution yet. Based on
what you were saying before, even just enabling HA opens it to a whole
new world of things like multiple HAProxy gears. So has the concept of
removing the haproxy gear no longer part of the HA capabilities?

I'm trying to get a better picture of where the point of failures are,
and how the 'enable ha' option changes that. ie. if you have multiple
haproxy gears, are you then relying on DNS to loadbalance between the
gears, what happens if one drops etc. So now that HA has been
'implemented' into things like ActiveMQ, mongo etc as part of the
broker support services. Can we tolerate a node failure?

Sorry if I started to ramble a bit, I just think HA is just such an
interesting space..

[1] https://github.com/worldline/openshift-nginx-routing
[2] https://github.com/openshift/openshift-extras/tree/enterprise-2.1/admin/routing-listeners