The v4 dependency chain - issues with therubyracer and v8

Hey all--
I am hoping to consolidate discussion of the dependency chain for Origin v4 under one thread; there are at least two others right now and they are covering very similar ground.

Here's some perspective on what is happening.

>From the ruby193 software collection (SCL), we use the ruby193-rubygem-therubyracer RPM. This gem depends on an RPM from a different SCL, specifically, the v8314-v8 RPM from the v8314 SCL. And from our perspective, this would all "just work" if the ruby193-rubygem-therubyracer included v8314-v8 as a specific dependency. However, it doesn't. The answer to "why" is one that I hope to have soon, but in the meantime, there are other ways to solve the problem.

I think the best short-term way to solve this issue will be for us to instead make the v8314-v8 RPM a dependency of our own RPMs, specifically the ones that also depend upon therubyracer:

* openshift-origin-console
* rubygem-openshift-origin-console
* openshift-origin-admin-console
* rubygem-openshift-origin-admin-console

A number of you have been looking at other workarounds, and my main concern with those is that they won't survive a "yum update" down the road.

So hopefully this answers some questions around why this is happening and what we are planning to do to solve the problem. Please feel free to follow up with your own findings, or any questions or concerns that you may have. As always, I am really appreciative of the folks who take the time to report on these matters, so thank you very much for bringing your findings to the community!

--Harrison