Re: Kolab / Complex Distributed Application in OpenShift

On 2014-11-07 00:38, Clayton Coleman wrote:
On Nov 5, 2014, at 5:43 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) <vanmeeuwen kolabsys com> wrote: In case of the LDAP setup though, where what is otherwise just "989a663bc081", even just an (extra) /etc/hosts entry of "989a663bc081.local" would allow the setup to continue.

I believe services would get a reachable DNS entry, but not an etc
hosts file entry.  The reason being is that the service is the
mechanism by which those links are exposed.  In the absence of an
internal DNS server we might still expose this in the container as
"servicename.local"

The "service" is currently published to my other containers as a set of environment variables that I can just use -- I have no requirement for consumers of LDAP services to know anything about DNS or hostnames or FQDNs for as far as such would relate to their capabilities to just consume LDAP -- its setting up LDAP that is the problem.

So, I'm not sure how such "service" would help my primary concern of not being able to successfully execute setup, which requires the container to hold:

  - an FQDN with at least one dot (.) character,

- which resolves to an address available on one of the local network interfaces,

- and for which the IP address resolves back to the original name (not strictly required).

As far as I'm concerned -- replicated LDAP deployments notwithstanding -- no other system is interested in either one of the three.

I've noticed that /etc/hosts is already populated with an entry of "172.$x.$y.$z $containerId", which I believe could solve my problem really quickly, if the routine that does that also inserts "$containerId.local" on very much the same line.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG