Running an OpenShift / kubernetes deployment from a Docker image

With the latest images from the DockerHub of 'openshift/origin' you *should* be able to run an all-in-one instance of OpenShift within Docker for managing a single host.

    $ docker run -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock --net=host --privileged openshift/origin start

Will start the all-in-one running on the current host (and listen on 0.0.0.0).  Your data is not preserved across restarts yet (until https://github.com/openshift/origin/pull/374 merges), but this should allow you try OpenShift and Kubernetes out on any system that supports Docker, including boot2docker instances.  You also get the client, so you can then do:

    $ docker run openshift/origin kube <stuff>

In the future, this will also allow you to side by side upgrades of OpenShift nodes with immediate rollback without publishing anything - this will work great on CentOS/RHEL Atomic hosts.

Once we do the next rebase to Kubernetes, we'll have the ability to dynamically add and remove minions via the CLI, which should allow us to do the following on a node

    $ docker run -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock --net=host --privileged openshift/origin start node --master <masterip>

    # and then
    $ docker run openshift/origin admin <add minion info>

If anyone has any problems trying this please let me know - I'm sure I missed something.

Clayton Coleman | Lead Engineer, Red Hat OpenShift