RE: Running an OpenShift / kubernetes deployment from a Docker image

So I tried running OpenShift on my Mac using Docker and it worked great! Many thanks for the email Clayton!

I've written up how to use OpenShift V3 with Docker on a Mac with Fabric8 here:
http://fabric8.io/v2/openShiftDocker.html

making it really easy to run OpenShift locally on a laptop so folks can try things out & play around with local docker builds and JSON definitions is a really great goal. I can see lots of developers (myself included) wanting an easy way to try out code changes locally inside a little OpenShift environment to check things seem OK before pushing (and then doing the usual remote OpenShift build and so forth).

I found to be able to use local docker builds (that are not in the public registry) I had to run a docker registry locally; then build images and push them to the local registry.

I wonder if in this 'run openshift locally on your laptop inside docker' mode we could avoid the need to also run a docker registry? Just that the extra push adds extra time & complexity; things would feel a bit more agile if a stand alone openshift could just reuse the images the local docker daemon is aware of already?

My first test I just tried referencing images I'd built locally; but openshift couldn't find them. I'm guessing its trying to pull by default; or is it hard wired to only talk to local or global registries?

Either way, having some kind of environment variable that basically means it just defaults to using locally available docker images would be handy for folks using openshift in docker on their laptops; then folks can just do a docker build and avoid the push.

I also found my Mac couldn't see the pod IPs by default; so added a route command:
http://fabric8.io/v2/openShiftDocker.html#network-routes

    sudo route -n add 172.17.0.0/24 $DOCKER_IP

Finally the other nit is using kube command line via docker is great; the only downside is when running this on your Mac host, you can't use the file system (as the commands actually running in a docker container inside boot2docker).
http://fabric8.io/v2/openShiftDocker.html#using-the-openshift-kube-command

So we probably need a little shell script wrapper that scp's the file into somewhere visible by the docker container thats gonna run the kube command.

Other than that though, its working great! Its a huge help for us developers trying to run OpenShift locally on our laptops! Many thanks!

--
James
-------

Twitter: @jstrachan