Re: Contribute to OpenShift 3!

> On Sep 7, 2014, at 6:58 AM, Jakob Praher <jakob praher info> wrote:
>
> Sorry, pressing reply did not add the list.
>
> Dear Harrison,
>
> thanks for the invitation early in the design process. Kubernetes looks
> as a reasonable platform to start from.
>
> One of the assets of Openshift in my opinion is that it has a clear
> workflow (based on GIT) and high level building blocks and it builds on
> Web elements directly (DNS, HTTP, Enviroment vars).
>
> My greatest difficulty in adapting openshift (as it is currently
> working) is that it is quite monolithic. One example: We built two
> separate infrastructures (for availability reasons). For this we had to
> manually replicate the applications and had to take care that user IDs
> were also the same. For us it would be easiest to see an application as
> a configuration that can be executed by any Openshift infrastructure. A
> distributed application (in terms of end-to-end functionality not in
> terms of kubernetes) can be instantiated by the same configuration on
> many infrastructures in the exact same way. Labels on kubernetes that
> identiy pods could be an interesting way to target such configurations.
>
> The second big thing is that we should make it easy to have fault
> tolerant services (especially in terms of redundant runtime data).
> Having GIT for the static part is great, but a node can always fail and
> the runtime data has to be shared. I am also not sure (but I am not an
> expert in these terms) about the cartridge vs application distinction.
> It could be easier to have application/services that depend on other
> applications/services. For instance a fault tolerant high available
> database would be a shared service that one can use based on a defined API.

3 separates git from runtime - the build flows will generate images, and the git input for builds can come from  anywhere.

Running more than just web apps as primary components (no distinction between DBs, message buses, tcp servers like IRC, or http servers) is very important to us - we believe that paas is about standardizing patterns for many types of network software.  Two key pieces of that are the abstractions for interconnection (links in the os3 pep, services and portals in the current kube proposals) and the ability to easily leverage persistent storage (volumes in Kubernetes).  It's still pretty early but those are very clear objectives for us.