Re: Contribute to OpenShift 3!

Dear Clayton,

Am 07.09.2014 20:04, schrieb Clayton Coleman:
3 separates git from runtime - the build flows will generate images, and the git input for builds can come from  anywhere.

Running more than just web apps as primary components (no distinction between DBs, message buses, tcp servers like IRC, or http servers) is very important to us - we believe that paas is about standardizing patterns for many types of network software.  Two key pieces of that are the abstractions for interconnection (links in the os3 pep, services and portals in the current kube proposals) and the ability to easily leverage persistent storage (volumes in Kubernetes).  It's still pretty early but those are very clear objectives for us.
Sounds interesting. Thanks for mentioning the openshift-pep-013-openshift-3.md - was not aware of that. Not sure I understand everything. So application is replaced by composition of services. Is then an instantiated project the concept that describes an end-to-end application (having e.g. an external address?). I would especially be interested in the details of the stateful services design. Links sound interesting - are these merely dependencies? Do you think high level control API (REST-ful like etcd) is a way to perform operations on dependent services (e.g. a database abstraction layer that can create, destroy, backup, or restore databases transparently).

To make implementing stateful services easier, the availability/liveness properties could be provided by the container/pod. Also +1 on the image immutability - I am not a docker user as of now - I guess statelessness is important for updating the images composing many services a smaller set of images.

Best,
Jakob

Best,
Jakob