How does OpenShift use ssh root access

I'm trying to track down more information on how OpenShift Origin uses the root ssh key that is setup as part of 9.2 in the comprehensive install guide (http://openshift.github.io/documentation/oo_deployment_guide_comprehensive.html#configure-ssh-key-authentication).  From my brief exposure to OpenShift remote root ssh access seems to be used by brokers to execute commands on nodes.  Traditionally I block root from using SSH by setting "PermitRootLogin no” in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

Could anyone elaborate on how root SSH is used and if I can limit it to only certain commands?

Thanks,

Brandon Richins