How is docker-registry found?

When you create an ImageRepository in v3, if you don't fill in the dockerImageRepository attr, it seems to get populated with a "docker-registry" service in the default namespace, which would make sense. I'm just wondering why I can't find anywhere in the code that it does this. I'm sure I'm missing something simple... any pointers? I ask because it seems like the sort of thing that ought to be configurable...