Re: Command to install / check routers

Is the plan to generalize this pattern once we have Secrets? We will probably have all kinds of infrastructure bits that need to be deployed with the right certs/keys/config to be addressed by the master, access the master, and conform to user needs. The next sort of obvious ones would be authentication servers and admission control plugins...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clayton Coleman" <ccoleman redhat com>
To: "Openshift Dev" <dev lists openshift redhat com>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:28:20 PM
Subject: Command to install / check routers

Now that more of the authentication and authorization pieces are integrated, we wanted to make setting up and configuring bits of the OpenShift infrastructure easier.  The first step is https://github.com/openshift/origin/pull/1043 which adds a new command:

  openshift ex router

(ex is for experimental, i.e. an alpha command).

This is an admin level command that can check for an installed router, install one for you, help you templatize your routers (if you want to tweak them), and load the necessary credentials for the router into the definition.

To check your router, run:

  $ openshift ex router

It will look for a service called "router" in the default (or current) namespace.  If it doesn't find one, it'll tell you:

  $ openshift ex router

If you pass the '--create' flag OpenShift will generate a deployment config and a service for you based on a few flags - see the help for more details.  You need to give the router the credentials it will use to authenticate to the master - you can do that by passing --credentials with a path to a .kubeconfig file.  The "openshift-client" kubeconfig has the right level of access.  To see what would be generated pass "-o yaml" (same as you would to osc get):

  $ openshift ex router --credentials="<certdir>/openshift-client/.kubeconfig" -o yaml
  .... yaml describing the router

If you like what you see, replace `-o yaml` with `--create` (or redirect it to a file, edit it, then cat it to `osc create -f -`):

  $ openshift ex router --credentials="<certdir>/openshift-client/.kubeconfig" --create
  router
  router

That's a service and a deployment config:

  $ osc describe dc router

The router will spin up and create a pod.  Because it's a deployment config, you can now roll out config changes or scale it up.

You can also create named routers by giving `openshift ex router` an argument:

  $ openshift ex router myrouter-west --replicas=2 ...

The router command is just a simple generator right now - as we have more pieces of the infrastructure in place you should see more sophistication (like assigning your routers to an infrastructure zone, or defining shards).

Up next - the registry.