Re: Query: OpenShift Enterprise upcoming release V3

+++ Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden [06/01/15 14:37 +0100]:
On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 07:47:32AM -0500, Brenton Leanhardt wrote:
+++ priyanka Gupta [06/01/15 15:57 +0530]:
>Hi All,
>
>I have worked on Openshift version 2 and have some apps running there.
>I saw some blogs which talks about Openshift enterprise Version 3 release.
>
>Now we want to move to V3, but not sure about what changes will it require.
>I know that we can upgrade from previous version to new version using "
>*ose-upgrade*" feature.
>
>Will it be possible to upgrade in this way or re-install will be required?
>
>and will I be able to move my existing running applications from V2 to V3
>without any change or what changes it will require to move?
>

>It will be very grateful if some one can answer my question..
>
>I will be waiting for the response...

Hi Priya,

This is definitely a common question and the short of it is that the
upgrade will require a parallel deployment of OpenShift that
applications will be migrated to.  See Clayton's post to the users
list:

http://lists.openshift.redhat.com/openshift-archives/users/2015-January/thread.html

http://lists.openshift.redhat.com/openshift-archives/users/2015-January/msg00002.html
is the specific message you're refering to here?

Ha, yes.  Sorry about that.

Part of the reason for this is that OpenShift Enterprise 3.x will be
based on RHEL 7 and RHEL Atomic (the OS that will run the OpenShift
2.x Node equivalent).  Since 2.x is used widely in production we
needed a migration strategy that didn't require systems to be upgraded
in place (that makes rollback really messy).