Re: UID TC issue?

Hi Luke,

Thanks a ton for the advice.
On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Luke Meyer <lmeyer redhat com> wrote:
<snip>

District/node UID parameters are poorly represented in the config files. There was a massive change in early 2013 that actually started using some new parameters while leaving the old ones as vestigial entries in the config files. I'm not sure exactly what your M3 codebase is looking at without digging deeper. Districts ignore these anyway when giving out UIDs (the district creates the UID pool), but the node uses them to calculate which resources should be owned by each gear. I don't see where we officially documented anywhere how this works; I think we only give directions for configuring these in a private (OSE) kbase article.

Don't try to change node UID parameters after the node is districted; at best it will do nothing, or at worst your gears will end up with overlapping port ranges/IPs and the like. The range on nodes should remain the default 1000-6999 unless you have really carefully coordinated the change between district definition and node and are sure the conf settings are being used like you think they are. Also note gears don't get reconfigured when you change these settings, so existing gears will keep using their previously-configured port ranges/IPs.

Gotcha! As Mike mentioned, we reverted the change as soon as we saw that it did not have any effect. We'll keep this in mind for the future as well.

This doesn't directly address what you're talking about with TC class IDs but all gear resources are calculated based on UID and expected UID range so it's probably related. Maybe you could indicate more about what kind of failure exactly you're seeing?

The error we're seeing is the following (from the node's platform-trace.log):

INFO oo_spawn running cat /tmp/tc-batch20150327-1421-cqhiw5 | tc -force -batch: {:unsetenv_others=>false, :close_others=>true, :in=>"/dev/null", :chdir=>"/", :out=>#<IO:fd 15>, :err=>#<IO:fd 13>}
INFO oo_spawn buffer(12/) Error: argument "invalid class ID" is wrong: 1:1287c

Of course, the class ID is different every time, but it's often above the 0xFFFF limit required by TC. The error occurs when users try to create a bog-standard application with a Small gear. As Mike mentioned, our Small district has about 900 active gears spread across 5 nodes, so I'm not sure why we are running into this error.

Any thoughts you could offer would be awesome.

Thanks again,

Eugene