Re: V3 Administrator Tooling

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> I'm excited to get ready for openshift3. I've been looking through the docs
> but haven't been able to find much information about how we can migrate some
> of our tooling/middleware to the new platform.
>
> ie. exporting usage /usr/sbin/oo-admin-ctl-usage --list or auto idling (will
> that be part of v3?)

v3 will not have usage (as it was in v2) directly, and idling is looking like it will be post v3 because we need to sort out autoscaling in kubernetes.

Usage can be calculated today by watching the "ResourceQuota" API.  We need to add the official modification timestamp of limits into the stored value (although that relies on you having accurate clocks).  That resource will show you the counts of any quota tracked resource, of which pods are today.  As we evolve quota we'll be able to track when pods transitioned into start status (we're currently waiting for some new features to make it into etcd).

Idling will likely be implemented at the TCP level in services - it will be possible for the idler to scale a set of replication controllers down to zero, but record that on traffic to a particular service that RC should be woken up.  The service proxy, upon receiving a new incoming connection, would trigger a scale up to 1 and hold traffic until that pod is available.  Still working through the details, but https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/kubernetes/pull/3247 tracks the current design.