Re: BuildConfig+ImageStream question

On Pá, 2016-04-01 at 10:16 -0400, Ben Parees wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Tomas Nozicka <tnozicka redhat com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > let's say we have an ImageStream with the following definition:
> > spec:
> >   dockerImageRepository: centos/ruby-22-centos7
> > status:
> >   dockerImageRepository: 172.30.107.255:5000/import/ruby-22-centos7
> >
> > There is also an BuildConfig referencing this ImageStream by:
> > sourceStrategy:
> >   from:
> >     kind: ImageStreamTag
> >     name: ruby-22-centos7:latest
> >
> > If you start build from this BuildConfig you get:
> > Error from server: imageStreamTag "ruby-22-centos7:latest" not
> > found
> what is the output of "oc get is <imagestream name> -n <namespace>" ?
$ oc get is ruby-22-centos7 -o yaml -n import
apiVersion: v1
kind: ImageStream
spec:
  dockerImageRepository: centos/ruby-22-centos7
status:
  dockerImageRepository: 172.30.107.255:5000/import/ruby-22-centos7

> > There are intentionally no tags yet in the ImageStream. But it
> > knows
> > where to get them. Should not have openshift downloaded the image
> > in
> > the first place or is it correct to get this error?
> it looks like you created the imagestream in a namespace named
> "import", is that also where you defined the buildconfig?  if not,
> you need to specify the namespace in your "from" definition in the
> buildconfig, and ensure you have view access to the import namespace.
Yes, I have also created the BuildConfig in the same namespace
"import".

Basically everything seems to be in place. The main questing is about
if tags (which are missing in ImageStream) should be created on demand.

I was told off the list that openshift creates tags only when creating
ImageStream object or when "oc import-image" is called,
for security reasons. If that is the case I understand why it will not
create the tag on demand.

The actual problem which led me to this question is now described in
[1] including 5 easy steps to reproduce.

[1] https://github.com/openshift/origin/issues/8327